Tuesday, July 6, 2010
For ten octopuses, you will need:
2/3 c. soft butter
2/3 c. sugar
1 medium egg
3 tsp. cocoa powder
1 1/3 c. flour
1 small bag of M&M candies (for eyes)
greased cookie sheet
Preheat oven to 375 F.
1. Mix the sugar and butter in a bowl.
2. Sift the flour and the cocoa into the bowl. Add the egg and mix them well to make dough.
3. Use your hands to press the dough into a large ball. Wrap it in plastic food wrap.
4. Put the wrapped dough in the freezer for 30 minutes or into the refrigerator for an hour.
5. Cut the dough in half and then each half into 5 pieces.
6. Gently flatten each piece and use a blunt knife to make four cuts for legs.
7. Gently pull the legs apart. Pinch their ends into points and bend them out.
8. Bake the octopuses for 10-12 minutes.
9. Let the children help put M&Ms for the eyes.
*You can also make other sea animals. See if you can guess what the other sea animals are in the pictures I took.
*Recipe found from an incredible children's book:
What shall I cook? by: Ray Gibson (Usborne Publishing)