I first tasted this recipe when American friends in Macedonia invited us over for lunch. Then I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and started cooking it myself. We have enjoyed it many times now! It's great for having company because it makes a lot!
* 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
* 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, quartered
* 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
* 1 1/4 cups water
* 1 (12 ounce) jar chunky salsa
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
* 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Crumble the ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Add taco seasoning and water; simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the salsa, cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. Mix in most of the cheese, reserving 3/4 cup for later.
3. Place a layer of tortillas covering the bottom of a slow cooker. Scoop a layer of the ground beef over that, and then spoon a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layers until you run out of stuff, ending with a layer of tortillas on the top. Top with remaining cheese.
4. Cover, and cook on High for 45 minutes to 1 hour.