I got this idea from my dear friends, Summer and Erin. They made one of these watermelon baby carriages for my baby shower in Macedonia. Last week I was able to make this one for my friend Jamie's baby shower.
Watermelon Baby Carriage
You Will Need:
1 large watermelon
Assorted fruit such as berries, kiwi, melons, and grapes
flowers (for garnish, if desired)
1 grapefruit or orange for wheels
1 kiwi for hubcaps
1. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of the watermelon to provide a stable base.
2. Using a sharpie marker, make an outline of a carriage. Use a sharp knife to make the cuts.
3. Hollow out the bottom of the watermelon and reserve the fruit for the fruit salad.
4. Cut out the handle from an unused piece of watermelon (scrape away any excess fruit.)
5. Attach the handle with toothpicks.
6. Using toothpicks, attach wheels made from orange slices and hubcaps made from kiwis.
7. Fill the carriage with approx. 4 cups of fruit salad.
8. Attach a bow to the top and arrange flowers around the base.
*There are YouTube videos that are helpful to watch before carving a baby carriage. Simply go to www.youtube.com and in the search window type "watermelon baby carriage". Several videos will appear that will assist you in making your watermelon baby carriage.