Friday, October 22, 2010
This was Olivia's 1st birthday cake!
* 1 box yellow cake mix
* Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
* Frosting and Decorations
* 1 container (1 lb) vanilla frosting
* 1 candy stick or decorative straw (8 to 10 inches long)
* Food color (in desired colors)
* decorating gel (from 0.68-oz tube) in any color
* Decorating sugar crystals (any color)
* 8 jelly beans or candy covered almonds
1. Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Make and cool cake as directed on box.
2. Cut cake in half crosswise; cut each half into 1/3 and 2/3 pieces (as shown in diagram on http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/butterfly-cake-recipe/2/). Place cake pieces on platter to form butterfly. Gently separate cake pieces to form wings.
3. Reserve 1/2 cup frosting. Frost cake pieces with remaining frosting. Place candy stick (or decorative straw) between cake pieces for butterfly body.
4. Stir food color into reserved frosting until well blended. Spread over cake in desired pattern on wings. Outline wing patterns with gel. Sprinkle with sugar crystals. Place jelly beans (or candy covered almonds) on corners of wings.
*For help with cutting and assembling the cake, visit http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/butterfly-cake-recipe/2/
*To watch an instructional video, visit http://www.bettycrocker.com/videos/videolibrary/birthday-cakes/how-to-make-a-butterfly-cake?WT.mc_id=paid_search_200100_636117&WT.srch=1&esrc=11151