Friday, December 10, 2010
Karen Brosius, Columbia, S.C.
Southern Living, JUNE 2010
This turned out very delicious! It was my first time cooking with orzo but now I look forward to more orzo recipes!
* 8 ounces carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
* 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1 cup Parmesan cheese
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh or dried chives
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or dried thyme
1. Process carrots in a food processor 15 seconds or until finely chopped.
2. Combine 2 1/2 cups water and broth in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until very hot.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 1 minute.
4. Slowly stir hot broth mixture, salt, and pepper into orzo mixture. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
5. Stir in Parmesan cheese, chives, and thyme until blended. Serve orzo immediately. Garnish, if desired.